Tuesday 9 June 2009

A cocktail fit for a recession

You've all heard of a Kir Royal, the refreshing French summer cocktail made by mixing a shot of creme de cassis (blackcurrant liqueur) and some fine champagne.

Conscious of the austere times in which we are living, I have developed a recession-proof version of the old French classic. I call it the Kir Fitzroyal. As before, add a shot of creme de cassis to a glass, and instead of topping up with some costly champagne, simply load it up with some of the cheapest, nastiest Spanish cava (or Italian prosecco) you can find in order to complete the beverage.

Those of you in the know will recall that "Fitz" literally means "son of", from the French "fils", which I think works well as a label for our new recession-friendly tipple. I have heard it suggested that Fitz may also have been used to refer to a "royal bastard", but I suspect this may be apocryphal. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Now, all that remains is to grab your drink, sit back on your plastic garden furniture, take a deep breath and relax as you watch the global economy slowly spiral down the plug hole. Cheers!

No comments: